Last week, I tried out my first pistol optical sight, a Holosun HS407C V2, which I’d installed on an IWI Masada. This week I returned to the range with the intent to further fine tune the sight. “Intentions be darned!” said the Universe.
Steady, Ready, Go?
As noted in my previous missive, I’d fired the Masada/Holosun combo from an unsupported, two-hand stance, which was not at all conducive to precision or accuracy. I suppose I could have used my range bag as an improvised pistol rest, but I ordered an inexpensive shooting rest to provide a steady platform for (further) zeroing the optic.
The set up at the PSTC range lane, the whole arrangement - pistol, shooting rest, boxes of ammo, UpLULA loader, smartphone on a tripod, and a (comfy) chair - looks way more cluttered than things ought to be. But there’s work to be done!
Lather, Rise, Repeat (Again)
I’d previous zeroed the optic to 10 yards, and with the shooting rest, I thought I’d recalibrate it to 25 yards. After a few shots from the rest, I decided to compromise and bring it back to 15 yards. After numerous iterations of setting the target, making shots, reeling in the target, making adjustments, I had this collection of seemingly random holes on paper:
Eventually wrapping up at the middle set of rings. Close enough? Let’s give it a try, shall we?
At 15 yards from an unsupported two-hand position. I’d say that’s reasonable. I mean, it kinda sorta looks like the 10 yard run from last week but scaled out just a tad.
Here’s Where Things Go Wobbly
I make it a habit of alternating live and dry fire when at the range. I don’t recall who gave me this advice, but aside from making the ammo last longer, switching back and forth allows a “reset” in what could easily become a “chug through a couple of boxes of bullets and zomg I’m out of ammo!” thing.
After re-zeroing the sight and making some holes “for reals” at 15 yards, I did a few sessions of dry fire (with Professor Mantis looking on and tsk-tsking) when I started noticing the red dot shifting between trigger presses. Lo and behold, the sight had come loose!
First things first, I’d re-tightened the fasteners to re-re-zero the sight, and I ran into the previously observed “failure to enter battery” problem. I guess the shortest screws still do get in the way with the thinner Holosun optic!
When Given Citrus, Make Vitamin C
Without becoming too disappointed at this predicament, I uninstalled the optic, figuring I’d at least get some practice in with iron sights. And then I noticed the following:
Gadzooks, the RMR adapter plate lost a tooth! Or a peg. Or whatever that’s called. It goes without saying that the optics assembly undergoes a good deal of stress, shock, acceleration, deceleration, etc. and perhaps it’s not surprising that a polymer adapter plate would be more susceptible to this kind of shearing mechanical failure.
[Insert Kevin Kline’s “Disappointed!!!” clip from A Fish Called Wanda.]
Anyway, not to be deterred by physics and material science, I shot one last set at 15 yards through iron sights:
Fun While One Makes It Last
Currently the Masada is optics-free, with the original cover plate on the slide, and the Holosun is back in its box. I’ll order a replacement adapter plate from IWI, and I’ll also have to figure out what to do about the screws that are still a hair (or a millimeter or two) too long.
In the meantime, I got to blast and wrangle through some ammo through a pretty mellow stretch at the PSTC range, so I’m grateful for the opportunity to exercise our Constitutional rights, as the saying goes.