A couple of weeks back, I experienced a minor setback getting a Holosun HS407C V2 red dot calibrated with an IWI Masada. As the sayings go, patience pays, and third time’s the charm!
I ordered a replacement adapter plate from IWI as well as a set of metal files from Amazon. After shaving off a bit from one of the mounting screws, I was able to reinstall the Holosun on the Masada and confirmed (using snap caps) that the pistol was able to enter battery.
The following Saturday, I returned to the PSTC range with shooting rest in the bag for what I’d like to have been the final calibration session. 9AM is a pretty mellow time at the lanes, although things did pick up by the time I left.
Same setup as the previous attempt. Same lane, even!
Getting Down to Business
With a couple of iterations behind me, the process of zeroing in the re-mounted sight went rather quickly. 15 yards seemed to be a reasonable distance for my crappy eyesight.
The first trio of rounds went way, way, way left of the center target, but things seemed to get grouped closer with each following set of shots. To maximize paper use, I’d covered up groups 2 and 4 with a 3" adhesive target, so that’s why those aren’t shown. By the 18th bullet, I think I had it reasonably dialed in.
I was also checking that the sight was firmly attached to the slide after each set of shots. And it was. Huzzah.
Off with the Training Wheels
Next up, doing this without the shooting rest. Here’s 10 shots at 15 yards, unsupported two-hand grip. The slack group had more to do with the slack shooter than the hardware.
Getting a bit closer, here’s 10 rounds at 10 yards:
One slightly off, but the other 9 make a ragged hole! I think this going well.
And finally, 20 shots at 15 yards. Pistol and magazines shown for scale. This would definitely pass the LGC instructor range qualification.
All Together Now
After some minor grumblings and gnashing of teeth, we now have a reasonably zeroed in red dot optic on a pistol. I think the next steps are to get a holster and practice the draw and multi-target drills that I tried on the Green Deck last week.